We commit to providing safe and supportive environments which nurture the wellbeing of all students and staff in our community, and hold firmly to the belief that all students and staff have a right to be safe, respected and valued in an inclusive environment. We know that when students are happy, they are more engaged in their learning.
Schools benefit from wellbeing and pastoral care support and initiatives through Sydney Catholic Schools – in areas such as anti-bullying, positive behaviour, student counselling, refugee support and child protection – which range from universal support for all students, to targeted interventions for students with complex social and emotional needs.
Our School-wide Positive Behaviour for Learning (SPBL) program is at the centre of student wellbeing. At all times, we strive to ensure that there is a consistency of approach, which results in optimal learning opportunities for our students. Promoting wellbeing at school can substantially improve the social and emotional outcomes for our students. SPBL encourages students to reflect on their choices whilst reinforcing positive behaviours. We encourage the students to see a need and act positively, rewarding their efforts with stickers and awards culminating in attending a special morning tea with the principal.
Our three school rules are:
- We are safe
- We are respectful
- We are active learner
At St Joseph the Worker Catholic Primary School Auburn South we offer:
- A buddy system, which ensures that our younger students always have an older student who will help to look after them.
- Daily passive play spaces that allow students to be creative in a quieter environment.
- A Peer Support program which places students at the centre of their learning, empowering them with practical skills and strategies to positively navigate life and relationships.
- Cybersafety lessons encouraging our students to act as positive leaders and supportive friends in all their social spaces, especially online.
- A school counsellor onsite weekly for professional support of students when required.